Two girls. Two plus years of friendship.

One store devoted to making life a little more bearable.


Thursday, September 27, 2007

Seriously, What's that Smell?



I called in sick today.

As Katie said--yeah sick of this place.

Call it a mental health day. Call it lying, if you must. Doesn't everybody wake up some mornings and think, there is no way that I can get up and go through with the normal routine today? Most of all, I have no interest in pretending my coworkers are funny. (Though Katie really is funny.) I can't stand that fake baby voice that one of them speaks in when she wants to be particularly condescending. And I don't feel inspired when I am making copies.

Instead, I am hanging out at the house today. I've got some cleaning to do--lots of cleaning actually. Yesterday, my sister--who lives with us--walked in the door and said, "this place stinks."
"Stinks like what?" I said, sniffing mightily.
She wrinkled her nose, "like--human."

She's right. Once she pointed it out, I noticed the smell of lived-in-too-long. Some people might call it stale, but to me, stale is locked-up and untouched. This is the smell of running in and out to work and school and meetings. It's the smell of family meals that don't start until 10 PM. It's the smell of burning the candle at both ends.

So my job today is to make this house smell less like human and more like comet. And while I am home, I'm going to fulfill our latest order (thanks jennynucity!) and if I get a chance, I'm going to stop and smell the roses, the ones in my very own back yard.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I would love my place to smell like comet, instead of babies and slobby husband. Maybe I should take a sick day off of being an at-home-mom and get my house in shape so I can smell the roses, too!

Simply Wired Custom Jewelry said...

What a great post! You've inspired me to take a day off. Perhaps I'll get one in next week.

The human stink...we all know that smell, we just haven't categorized it yet. Good luck with the Comet.

And oh yeah, nice post on the TV faves. When Californication gets released on DVD, I imagine it will make your top five list, too. Enjoy your day!

Cora said...

A mental health day is necessary once in awhile. Everyone should take one. Kudos to you for not sitting around in your pjs watching tv all day (that tends to be what I do when I stay home- if I'm not sewing and especially if it is raining).