Two girls. Two plus years of friendship.

One store devoted to making life a little more bearable.


Friday, December 14, 2007

Gifts to reduce the waste, increase the love...

I will confess that I am what my mother generously calls a "gracious gift giver." That means that I want to find the very best, most perfect present for the ones I love--and even the ones I just know. A great deal of energy goes into producing these perfect gifts. A G*R*E*A*T* deal. Why do you think I am so tired all the time?
The best gift that anyone can get me...an oooh and ahh when I reveal the gift that I have either:
a) Scaled Kilamanjaro
or
b) Sold my left kidney
to procure.
Not really, but you get the idea. I guarantee I have laid awake at night wondering if I did the right thing and I have probably cried anguished tears of self doubt, knowing that whatever I bought, made, scaled a mountain for could have been more perfect if only I had thought about it a little bit harder and cared a little bit more.
I have just described one downside of the condition. The other is that I kind of expect other people to care the way I do, so when I open a random gift of lima beans or mustard-colored wellington boots, I am more sorely disappointed than any self-respecting adult should be. My attitude is something like, "Yes it is the thought that counts. Where was the thought?"
Terrible.
This is a disease.
I believe it is hereditary, but not contagious.
You should be fine.
In this holiday season, I am working on worrying less, buying less, using less.
My family will not be receiving an assortment of gifts, each wrapped in coordinated papers chosen specifically for the person by considering their tastes, age, and what they wanted Santa Claus to bring when they were three.
They will be receiving gifts of use--most handmade, many of them things that used to be other things. WHETHER THEY LIKE IT OR NOT.
And how could they not with options like these:


Lorena Barrezueta creates these containers (and lots of other shapes and sizes) from molds of take out containers and other disposables. I think they are brilliant and the perfect reminder that when we rely on a throwaway culture, we miss the opportunity for quality and color in these yummy glazes.

This darling print is by Arian. Is there any sweeter way to represent the principle of fair trade? I am dying to hang this in my office--but I won't blame you if you get there first.


Talking Squid made this purple pillow from recycled t-shirts. I have mentioned before that my husband likes to wear his until they fall from his back. Now he knows that even the scraps can be useful. And in this case, they can accent a chair beautifully.
He may never give up his old ts.




And speaking of t-shirts, look at this darling reversable(!!!) dress for baby by Texas North. It is made from recycled adut t-shirts and solves the age old problem of the spare outfit--at least in some cases. Brilliant!

Proof enough that lots of things can be reinvented...even my Christmas consumer additude.

3 comments:

Arian said...

Thanks for including me!

Sunday Grant Photography said...

i love TexasNorth! good handmade things that is beautifully packaged for someone special!

KatieKate said...

In the words of Arian, thanks for including me (too). Obviously, I brought a fan club (thanks, Sunday).

I had to stop in and say hello- my best friend in the world nearly jumped through the screen when she saw ME on YOUR blog... seeing as how she used to work with you in the library. What a small small world. Janna says hello :)